Update: Part 1 of 2

I had my CT scan this morning.  It is about a two hour process.  First you get into that very flattering hospital gown which is way way way too big for me, then you have to drink two glasses of something that reminds me of super sweet orange tang over a 40 minute period.  During that time, you get the IV put in.  About 20 minutes after finishing these drinks you re called into the scan room.  You lie down on a bed and they hook up your IV to a solution that they run through you during the scan.  They start running the solution and instantly you get a metal taste in your mouth and a warm sensation through your body and actually feel like you peed yourself (which you don’t).  The bed then goes through a doughnut shaped scanner and last about 5 minutes.  Once that is done they ask you to stick around for about 10 – 15 minutes to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction to the solution and then remove your IV.  So overall, it is a pretty easy process.

My appointment was at 8:15 and at 1:30 I received a call from Dr. Higgins.  Unfortunately there are more spots on my liver, so the elevated enzymes were in fact a result of progression of the disease.  While I was hoping and praying this wouldn’t be the case, I was prepared to hear this, but obviously still upset.  I was sad (and I guess still am), angry, frustrated, felt defeated, but I had my cry and I have to move on.

Moving on means I stop my letrezole and when I get back from vacation I will begin Xeloda (oral chemo).

This is only part 1 of 2 of my update.  Dr. Higgins didn’t have the full report, but he himself looked at my scan but only focused on my liver, so he is not sure if there are any signs of disease progression anywhere else.  I have a meeting with my nurse, Audrey, tomorrow morning to go through my new treatment process and may at that time have the full CT scan report.

I also said I would have a cheat day the days I get my scan results and since this one came out of left field, I didn’t have time to prepare for a full day of cheating.  But I did have time to squeeze in a cheat dinner so Pizza Hut it was!

I want to thank everyone for sending so much love our way!!!!  I think those positive vibes bypassed the scan and are going directly to my new treatment plan!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s