We were recently in Hilton Head, South Carolina and it was there I tried avocado toast for the first time. I’m not sure why it took me so long to try this since I love toast and would drape myself in avocado if it was socially acceptable…
Anyway, since then, Avocado toast has become part of the meal rotation in the Riccio household, not just because it’s so delicious, but because you can easily modify it to fit the tastebuds of everyone in the family.
Here is my recipe below:
5 slices of bread of your choice, but I highly recommend staying away from white bread 🙂
2 ripe avocados
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil if that is what you have in your pantry)
1/2 tbsp chili flakes
1 tbsp hemp seeds
pinch of pink Himalayan salt
OPTIONAL TOPPING: over easy/medium/hard egg
- Toast your bread to your liking
- Meanwhile mash your avocado in a medium bowl and mix in the lime juice, avocado oil, hemp seeds and salt
- I hold off mixing in the chili flakes until I’m done making Taylor’s, but you can mix them in now. You can also add more or less depending on how much heat you enjoy.
- Spread about a 1/4 cup of the mixture on each slice of bread
- For Taylor and Mike, I place an egg on top
- Serve with a side of cut up veggies and hummus and enjoy!
NOTE: I find one slice is good for little ones and two slices is good for the grown-ups