1 tomato (chopped into bite-size pieces)
1 avocado (chopped into bite-size pieces)
1 tbsp of finely chopped red onion
1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
2 tbsp hemp seeds
Pink salt to taste
Mixed everything together and enjoy!
Optional: If I have black beans around, I add them to this salad for additional protein
Benefits of this salad
- Tomatoes: Know as an excellent source of lycopene – and antioxidant compound that gives tomatoes and certain other fruits and vegetables their colour. As an antioxidant it is believed to block the action of free radicals, activated oxygen molecules that can damage cells. Several scientific studies have found lower risk of cancer among people who eat lycopene-rich foods.
- Avocado: Is loaded with fibre and many important nutrients. But it is its healthy fats that when combined with other plant-based foods can dramatically increase the nutrient value of other plant foods that you are eating. This is because some nutrients are ‘fat soluble’ meaning they need to be combined with fats in order to be used by our bodies.
- Red Onion: An excellent source of quercetin, a bioflavonoid that is particularly well suited for scavenging free radicals. Aside from its antioxidant properties, quercetin has been found to possess cancer fighting, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Jalapeno peppers: Contain capsaicin which has been found to have anti-bacterial, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-diabetic properties. It also found to reduce LDL-cholesterol levels in obese individuals.
- Lime: An excellent source of vitamin C, one of the most important antioxidants in nature.
- Hemp Seeds: A complete protein – a perfect blend of easily digested proteins, essential fats (Omega 3 & 6), Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), antioxidants, amino acids, fiber, iron, zinc, carotene, phospholipids, phytosterols, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin D, vitamin E, chlorophyll, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, copper, potassium, phosphorus, and enzymes. All amino acids essential to optimum health are found in Hemp Seeds, including the rarely found Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA). GLA is a fatty acid believed to act as an anti-inflammatory (inflammation plays an important role in health and disease. Most of the chronic diseases of modern society, including cancer, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, etc. have an inflammatory component.)